Tri-Sport has been proud to be the exclusive distributour of Trek USA since 1992. Being a part of the world’s leading brand in road racing and cross country bikes has been a joyful ride and we would like nothing better than to introduce you to this spectacular brand and company!
Whether you are looking to get out with friends once in a while, ride to work, follow your kids, hit the beautiful Bellevue trails for some serious mountain biking or are interested in joining one of the many road racing or triathlon groups on the island, we can help match you to your perfect bicycle.
Valuable tips on purchasing your new bike:
1) Don’t be afraid to ask questions; that is what we are here for.
2) Know what your objective is; do you plan to go off road, ride only occasionally, plan to join a club or group ride, etc..? This will help you to determine if you should be looking for a mountain bike, a road bike, a hybrid, cruiser or comfort touring bike.
3) Get the right size! Trust your sales person’s knowledge to choose the correct size for you. Every model of bicycle comes in many sizes. Don’t settle on a model because you like the colour! Size is EVERYTHING.
4) Remember that like anything; you get what you pay for. The lighter bike with more gears and features will cost you more. A simple bike that is slightly heavier will cost you less.
5) Don’t underestimate the importance of a helmet and padded shorts when you purchase your new bicycle! Comfort and safety make a world of difference and will encourage you to continue riding.
Remember that if we do not have the model you want, it takes approximately two weeks to arrive, or you can splurge another $180 to $200 to get your bike delivered the next day..
Accessories, accessories, accessories!
Now that you have your bike, here are some additional items in order of importance that will make your ride more enjoyable in the long run:
1) Helmet - We carry Bell and Giro starting from $35 for a lightweight, one size fits all adult model. Always be safe!
2) Riding Shorts - Any ride over 30 minutes long without the proper seamless padding will leave you wondering why you ever picked up cycling as a sport! Don’t be disheartened, just grab some padded shorts in a baggy or tight fit and you’re good to go. We carry Pearl Izumi, Bontrager, Bellwether and Mavic shorts and kinickers which start at $39. Tip of the week: Never wear underwear under your shorts!
3) A floor pump. If you don’t have a pump at home, then splurge the $29 for a Bontrager Charger pump which will keep your pressure up in the tires and your blood pressure down when you don’t have to deal with flats. Most beginner cyclists forget that your tires should be pumped up to the correct pressure every time you ride otherwise you will end up “snake biting” your tubes when you hit a hole or a bump due to your tires being too soft.
4) Hydrate! Whether it be a $5 aluminum bottle cage or a $35 Camelbak Hydration Bag, remember to always carry water with you when you ride. Dehydration is no fun!
5) A Seatpack. These $19 compact bags fit under your seat and carry a spare tube and small pump, patch kit and tire levers in case you get a flat. Or, your phone so that you can call your significant other to pick you up!
6) Gloves prevent your hands from slipping off of the handlebar when they get sweaty and also reduce the vibration from the road. Our Bontrager gloves start at $15 and go up to $35 if you prefer a gel padded model.
7) Protect your eyes against midges or dust with sunglasses. We personally love Optic Nerve as this brand offers a wide range of models with interchangeable lenses for night riding and cloudy days from $39 to $79.
A speedometer can make a world of difference to your ride, especially if you cycle alone. A simple model from $25 will show you your speed, distance, time, maximum and average speed. Takes just minutes to install and will give you a new insight into your performance.
9) A lock will protect your investment! Whether it is a $10 cable lock to enable you to pop into a shop for a few minutes or a solid Kryptonite U Lock to keep your bike safe at home, you will never regret this purchase!
10) Lights! It has happened to all of us. You didn’t expect to ride that long or far and before you know it, the sun has set and you are praying to every God imaginable to get you home safely. Pick up a simple $10 LED light to strap to your helmet or handlebar just in case…
We carry a wide range of accessories and components to keep your ride enjoyable: